Sunday, April 20, 2008

Leftovers

So, I've been thinking a lot about the discussion that was had about the book, Confessions of a Closet Catholic. I realize I was a big part of that discussion, and I left feeling kind of unsettled, like I did not say everything I had intended. As far as the discrepancy between the kinds of Catholic practices presented in the book is concerned, I realize now that some of those practices were outdated. BUT, put in context of the book and the narrator, who consistently throughout the book demonstrated a classic view of Catholicism. This makes sense, because she was a self taught Catholic who had access to limited, outdated resources. Therefore, it makes sense that the church she visited offered Saturday confessions. This fits with the theme of classic Catholic practices that has been constantly referred back to in the novel. So that's my last word on that.

No comments: