Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Symbolically Speaking

Our discussion about The Heart of A Chief revolved around the use of names as ways to identify, stereotype, and control people. I realized not too long ago that the school district in which I am employed, Okemos, uses the Chief as it's mascot and logo. The Native American head with a feathered headdress is all over the apparel from the school district. I was wondering, how is it that some schools have gotten away with using such stereotypical images as their mascots while other schools have been so persecuted? Does anyone know if Okemos has encountered any suits or issues over the use of the Native American Chief as it's mascot? Should this be taken up with the school district? Why hasn't it before? It really made me realize how subconsciously these stereotypes reside in me. I had not noticed until well after the discussion that the mascot was a Native American chief - it had not bothered me, it was of no consequence at all. Do I consider myself biased? No. Have I internalized these stereotypes which have invaded the media unconsciously? Most likely, yes. How can we go about combating these stereotypes, aside from learning about them in this class and taking what we know about diversity into the classroom? So many questions from such a seemingly simple symbol.

1 comment:

masonke3 said...

Kate, I enjoyed your post. I too have been questioning whether I consider myself biased and why these mascots have not bothered me until now. I really liked what you said about how you often have been internalizing these stereotypes which have been invaded the media unconsciously. I agree that I have been doing the same thing. I think that until we are able to confront these stereotypes we won't be able to begin to address them.